The word African means …..
"God Our Father, Christ Our Redeemer, the Holy Spirit Our Comforter, Humankind Our Family."
The Mission of the African Methodist Episcopal Church is to minister to the social, spiritual, and physical development of all people.
The African Methodist Episcopal Church (A.M.E.C.) connectional organization grew out of the Free African Society (FAS) which Richard Allen, Absalom Jones, and others established in Philadelphia in 1787 in response to racial discrimination encountered while worshiping at St. George Methodist Church in Philadelphia.
The AMEC rapidly spread, prior to the Civil War, throughout the Northeast and Midwest. Major congregations were established in Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, DC, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Detroit. The denomination reached the Pacific Coast in the early 1850's with churches in Stockton, Sacramento, San Francisco, and other places in California. Moreover, Bishop Morris Brown established the Canada Annual Conference.
Today, the African Methodist Episcopal Church has membership in twenty Episcopal Districts in thirty-nine countries on five continents. The work of the Church is administered by twenty-one active bishops, and nine General Officers who manage the departments of the Church.
Newman African Methodist Church
Newman A.M.E. Church is part of the larger African Methodist Episcopal Church (A.M.E.C.) connectional organization. We give thanks for God's Mercy and Grace, and for his Son Jesus Christ, in providing a way for the Rev. Augustus R. Green in 1861 to organize Oakland County's first African American church. At first services were held in homes, in a church basement, and in a school house. The Charter Members were Mr. and Mrs. George Newman, Ms. Harriet Washington, Mr. Henry Parker, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Stevens, and Mr. John Jones. On August 1, 1868 the church was incorporated as Newman African Methodist Episcopal Church, named for George Newman a founding member, whose loyalty and devotion kept the sometimes-faltering church alive.
We give thanks for God's Mercy and Grace, and for his Son Jesus Christ, for providing the inspiration and guidance for Newman A.M.E. Church to have played a major role in the growth and development of the City of Pontiac. From the ranks of its congregation have come the Northern Oakland N.A.A.C.P. formed in 1920; the City's first Mayor, the Honorable W. Holland; many City Commissioners; a County Commissioner; a Superintendent of the Pontiac School District; many teachers and leaders in the educational community; many business leaders; and the non-profit corporation Newman Housing Authority, which constructed Newman Court Apartments.
We give thanks for God's Mercy and Grace, and for his Son Jesus Christ, for patience strength and motivation to continue the serve the community in and around the City of Pontiac. Newman remains active in the community with its support of Whitman Elementary School; Friday Community Feeding Program; support of other organizations in Pontiac such as Haven, Strong United Neighbors Time Bank and the Boys Scouts; and a full array of weekly worship and fellowship opportunities. Please join us (link to Please Join Us page)
Through God's Mercy and Grace, in 1872 the congregation bought a church building in downtown Pontiac with a seating capacity of 100 people. This building underwent many improvements and additions until it was claimed by urban renewal in 1961.
The current structure, at 233 Bagley St. in Pontiac was constructed in 1963. The conceptual design for this building was developed by Pastor Reverend J. Allen Parker. The building seats 700 people and sits on a site of over 6 acres of land. A major expansion and renovation project of this structure is currently underway. Phase 1 of this project is slated for completion by Fall 2019.